Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tonsillitis




Good news, I didn't have throat cancer and my little throat enemy disappeared. But... Dr. Zimmerman so kindly informed me that my tonsils were the size of walnuts and if the swelling didn't go down, I would have to get my poor poor tonsils taken out. I got antibiotics from strep throat and prayed on everything that things wouldn't come down to me losing my adenoids. I know millions of people get their tonsils taken out all the time no big deal but I also know some people who have lost their voice FOREVER from the surgery going wrong. Ok, I've heard of it happening to one person but still the odds are there. I always hate it when people give me statistics like "99% of the time surgery goes according to plan." I mean ok, what if I'M the %1 percent that it doesn't go according to plan and I die? What then? It's things like this:

Less common or rare risks include:
  • More serious bleeding.
  • Anesthetic complications.
  • Death after surgery (very rare).
When they use words like "less common" or "rare" or "very rare" that really make me wonder, WHAT IF I'M THE RARITY.  Point is, you never know what can happen to YOU no matter what the odds or percentages are. If you're the unlucky %1 percent it really doesn't matter how great the statistics are, be them %50 or %99. It really bugs me when WebMD, doctors, surgens and your parents say this to make you feel better. In this case, I was the lucky percent that the antibiotics worked, my walnut tonsils turned back to peanut tonsils, and I didn't have to get anything cut out. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment